We only have one planet, and undeniably, looking after it is incredibly important.
Some have said that the world has had a chance to reset itself somewhat due to the pandemic. There weren’t as many people jet-setting, road-tripping, or on a normal level, getting stuck in traffic on their way to work.
As things are slowly picking up again, traffic is getting back to its pre-pandemic level, and pollution will soon rise again too, but what can you do to play your part in protecting the environment?
If you haven’t guessed, today, April 22nd marks Earth Day; a day to take action and restore our planet.
Here are ten simple things you can do to help make your mark!
- Turn the tap off when brushing your teeth. If you leave the tap running, you waste 4 gallons of water… it’s bad for the planet, and for your pocket!
- Ditch the car – get the bus, walk, run or cycle (if you can!)
- Eat less meat. Did you know that the meat industry is roughly equivalent to all the driving and flying of every car, truck, and plane in the world… Madness!
- Recycle! A study found that only 45% of respondents in the UK felt they recycled all of their plastics! Yikes!!
- Use smart meters to measure how much energy you’re using and ways to cut back.
- Save water on flushing your toilet with these helpful tips!
- Always take a reusable carrier bag with you when you go shopping!
- Switch to glass boxes as opposed to plastic tupperware.
- Ditch fast fashion for more ethical pieces, or better yet, buy second-hand!
- Get in the garden and plant some plants that are great for pollination… Bees play an enormous part in our environment. For more on the role of bees, click here!
That was just a brief overview of things that you can do to look after Earth. Is there anything you’re currently doing that we missed? We’d love to know below!