Now in its third edition, The Literate Classroom offers essential information and advice from leading experts about the teaching of primary English to students, NQTs and less confident teachers of literacy. Presenting a range of refreshing and challenging viewpoints from experienced classroom practitioners, this book describes how the theory behind key areas of literacy teaching can be transformed into realistic learning experiences within the classroom. Split into five sections, this book outlines effective measures in inspiring children to become confident with all aspects of literacy through speaking and listening, creative approaches to reading and writing and new experiences with poetry and drama.
This fully updated edition includes:
- shared and guided reading and writing
- guidance on literacy teaching with EAL pupils
- comprehension through response to children's literature
- working with drama, ICT, poetry and language study
- new chapters on speaking and listening, reading aloud to children and children's development as independent readers.
This accessible and informative collection is a must-have for all trainee and practising teachers, as well as teaching assistants and support workers, looking to enhance literacy learning in the primary classroom.