The Essential Guide for New Teaching Assistants provides an introduction for teaching assistants who have recently been inducted, or are going through the process of induction, and are working in schools with children or young people.
Giving teaching assistants an insight into the theories of teaching and learning and providing a background for understanding school processes and procedures, this new edition is fully updated to incorporate recent initiatives and changes in the National Curriculum. With an emphasis on personal responsibility and professionalism, the role of a teaching assistant and their relationship with qualified teachers is fully outlined.
Providing a comprehensive overview, chapters include practical guidance on:
- getting started in a teaching assistant role
- developing a reflective approach to personal and professional development
- the Every Child Matters initiative
- working in partnership with qualified teachers
- being part of a whole school team
- working with individual children to progress their learning and development
- further training and professional development.
Fully updated in line with National Occupational Standards, changes in the primary and secondary National Curricula and revised induction materials from the TDA, this book forms essential reading for teaching assistants seeking to understand the basic principles of education, teaching and learning.