Now in a fully revised and extended second edition, How to Teach Poetry Writing: Workshops for Ages 8-13 is a practical and activity based resource of writing workshops to help you teach poetry in the primary classroom. Designed to help build writing, speaking and listening skills, this book contains a wide selection of workshops exemplifying a variety of poetry styles and showing how their unique features can be used to teach key literacy skills. This book includes:
- redrafting and revising activities;
- poetry writing frames;
- traditional and contemporary poems from a range of cultures;
- poems written by children about their favourite subjects;
- word games and notes on performing poetry;
- cross-curricular links;
- new workshops on performance poetry, wordplay, rhyming and unrhyming poetry senses and narrative poetry;
- an A-Z Guide to Poetry.
Featuring a wealth of poems and a new bibliography to help you find the perfect poem for a lesson, this book will be of interest to all teachers looking to develop the necessary skills in their pupils to become confident writers of poetry.